ITU Telecom World Awards to recognize excellence in ICT innovation
Date: Wed, 05/18/2016 - 13:30
Innovative ICT solutions with positive social impact will be recognized and rewarded at ITU Telecom World 2016, the leading UN global technology event taking place this year in Bangkok, Thailand, 14 -17 November 2016.
In its second year, the ITU Telecom World Awards programme builds on ITU’s unique status as the UN specialized agency for ICTs to celebrate and support the innovative use of ICTs in applications, tools and initiatives accelerating social and economic development around the world.
Award winners, whether small and medium enterprises (SMEs) or larger industry players, will benefit from international recognition, global visibility and unique networking opportunities to mobilize investment and create new business opportunities for ICT solutions with social impact. Winners of the inaugural ITU Telecom World Entrepreneurship Awards 2015 will also be present in the forum and exhibition demonstrating how their businesses have grown and developed as a result of receiving the Award.
“ICTs are powerful catalysts in driving sustainable, inclusive socio-economic development and improving lives in developed and emerging markets alike,” said ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao. “The ITU Telecom World Awards highlight best practices, share ideas and inspiration, and facilitate direct access to policy makers and private sector leaders at the highest level. ITU Telecom World provides the endorsement, support, visibility and connections needed to take promising ICT initiatives to scale, to grow business and develop potential for the good of us all.”
Open to anyone exhibiting or sponsoring at ITU Telecom World 2016, the Awards will be presented by the ITU Secretary-General at a high-profile ceremony in five categories:
• Global SME Award for the most promising innovative solution from an SME
• Host Country SME Award for the best and most innovative solution from Thailand, the event host
• Thematic Award for the most promising innovative solutions with social impact from an SME or larger company working within a specific vertical sector, such as education, health or disaster communications
• Partner Award – presented by ITU Telecom World partners to innovative ICT initiatives with positive social impact
• Recognition of Excellence certificates for the best innovative SME within each National Pavilion at ITU Telecom World 2016
ITU Telecom World 2016 combines a global technology exhibition, a forum for sharing knowledge, and a networking hub for governments, established industry players and emerging SMEs, as well as the prestigious Awards programme. It provides a unique international platform bringing together developed and emerging markets, public and private sector leaders, and industry representatives from across the entire ICT ecosystem.