On2 Technologies will demonstrate high-definition mobile video solutions at the Mobile World Congress
Date: Mon, 02/09/2009 - 14:23
On2 to unveil new embedded mobile video solutions, new software codec solutions at leading mobile conference
On2, a leader in video compression solutions, will unveil new hardware design solutions for mobile and multimedia chip-set manufacturers, demonstrate its latest mobile video software implementations, and preview its cloud transcoding service at its Stand 1A55, in Hall 1 of La Fira convention center.
On2 announced the Hantro™ 8190, the first high-definition hardware decoder supporting MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and H.264 for low powered chipsets, at last year’s Mobile World Congress, and the company recently unveiled the industry’s most advanced video compression format, On2® VP8. The convergence of web and mobile content is a growing industry trend, and On2’s technology solutions deliver customers high-quality, low-bit-rate video with minimal processing requirements, making them ideal for mobile devices. On2’s proprietary VPx codecs are the most ubiquitous in the industry, used in Adobe Flash® video, Sun JavaFX® video, Skype®videoconferencing, and in the Move Networks® high-quality web streaming solution.
”We want to make HD video possible on the widest range of devices for mobile customers. The value of mobile video solutions that bring the highest possible quality, at the lowest price point and complexity level, to customers has never been greater, and On2 delivers the industry’s most complete line of products for creating and distributing web and mobile video,” said Matt Frost, CEO of On2 Technologies. ”The success of our Hantro embedded technologies for handsets, our proprietary VPx codecs, and our Flix® publishing solutions have enabled us to optimize the mobile video experience for an even wider range of customers.”
The On2 stand at Mobile World Congress will feature demonstrations for creating, distributing, and sharing video over the web and wireless networks, including:
- Hantro encoders - RTL designs enabling real time encoding of 720P HD video. Supporting H.264, MPEG-4, H.263 and JPEG, the design is targeted at baseband and application processors destined for mobile phones and handheld devices.
- On2 Flix Cloud – a video transcoding solution running in the Amazon EC2® (Elastic Computing Cloud) enabling on-demand, pay-as-you-go networked transcoding, built on the popular Flix Engine SDK.
- On2 VP8 – the industry’s most advanced video codec, promising significant bandwidth savings beyond any other commercially available solution.
- On2 VP7 - the codec used in Skype video conferencing for high quality, full screen video conferencing, capable of 720P HD video at 300kbps with fixed camera encodes.
- On2 VP6 - the codec used in Adobe Flash Player 9 which is designed specifically to allow HD video playback in power restricted applications.