ECI Telecom and Horsebridge will deploy Fiber-To-The-Home in the City of Westminster
Date: Mon, 07/15/2013 - 17:48
Jonathan Glanz, Westminster City Council's Cabinet Member for Housing
Image credited to the City of Westminster
ECI Telecom, a global provider of next-generation network solutions,has been selected by Horsebridge Network Systems as their technology partners in the rollout of an advanced fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) project in the City of Westminster, London, United Kingdom.
• Horsebridge will install high-speed fiber optic communications in more than 22,000 homes in the City of Westminster over the next three years. This GPON infrastructure will enable the delivery of digital television, high speed internet, and voice services.
• The City of Westminster occupies an area of 21.5 km2, and is home to 220,000 people. It is located in central London, and many of the most significant tourist, economic and political sites associated with London are within the City’s limits.
• ECI and Horsebridge will deploy the I-OLT, a highly flexible and versatile platform optimized for any FTTx architecture, and supporting GPON, active Ethernet and full traffic aggregation capabilities.
• ECI’s solution is particularly attractive to municipalities who are looking to bridge the digital divide with FTTH solutions, and would like to offer their residents advanced television, cable, data and voice services. ECI has recently been selected to deploy its solutions at additional municipalities in Eastern and Western Europe.
• ECI and Horsebridge have been working together for the past five years, delivering next-generation access and transport networks for several projects in the United Kingdom.
• Horsebridgehas setup a new company called Community Fiber Ltd. that will provide TV, broadband and telephony services to Westminster’s residents.
Jonathan Glanz, Westminster City Council's Cabinet Member for Housing, said: "Currently, more than one in four of our tenants do not have access to the internet at home. I welcome the first phase of this new initiative as it furthers my commitment to addressing digital deprivation in the city, and will improve the lives of our residents.
"The households taking part will be able to gain free access to a range of government websites. Boosting the availability of services to our residents will transform many lives and bolster employment opportunities.
"We intend to roll out Community Fibre's service across all of our homes so that all of our residents will have access to the internet, which is increasingly important in this digital age."
Geoff Smith, Managing Director, Horsebridge, said: “We are thrilled to work with The City of Westminster bringing this exciting initiative project to reality in the heart of London. Our selection of ECI technology as a key component of this reflects ECI’s long term commitment to a robust range of fiber based access products and solutions. The selection of ECI is not solely on their ability to supply best-of-breed products but also reflects their proactive and supportive approach working closely with our teams to offer a high degree of technical expertise in delivering the solution The City of Westminster and its residents desire.”
Sorin Lupu, President of Sales & Marketing, ECI Telecom, said: “Local governments and municipalities recognize the challenge of closing the digital divide that exists today in many urban, suburban and rural areas. ECI and Horsebridge are successfully delivering a cost-effective fiber-to-the-home solution that can suitably address this issue. The City of Westminster will enjoy the close relationship between ECI’s next-generation access technology and Horsebridge’s extensive experience in building telecom networks for the ultimate benefit of its residents.”
ECI’s I-OLT supports any FTTx architecture and any service mix across any fiber technology. The highly versatile platform reduces financial and technological risks, through a common solution for both residential and business applications. ECI has been one of the pioneers of broadband access solutions, including xDSL, vectoring and FTTx technology deployed around the world, helping close the digital divide. ECI has been present in the British market since 1990.